Happy Monday, I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! I had a lovely time visiting family in Pennsylvania, but it’s back to reality today. I got home from my trip late Saturday night and decided to clean out the refrigerator so I could make room for some of the leftovers I had brought with me. As I was doing that, I realized I had a ton of veggies that needed to be eaten before they went bad. So, last night I decided to whip up some form of a side dish that would use a lot of the vegetables and this is what I came up with: Spinach and Sautéed Veggie Casserole. It was quite a hit with the entire family, kids included!
Spinach and Sautéed Veggie Casserole
- 20 ounces of Fresh Baby Spinach
- 10 ounces of Sliced Mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, chopped
- 1 Orange Bell Pepper, chopped
- 1 Medium Onion, chopped
- 15 Small Cherry Tomatoes cut in half
- 3 Garlic Cloves, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Cup Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- Preheat Oven to 350 Degrees
- Place Spinach in a large pot and cover with water, then wilt spinach over medium heat for approximately 5 minutes.
- After Spinach is wilted, drain in colander, then press out excess water with paper towels.
- Place wilted spinach in a 2 quart dish.
- Heat Olive Oil in Skillet over medium heat. Add Bell Peppers and Onions to skillet and sauté for 5 minutes
- Next, add mushrooms, stir and cover skillet with lid for approximately 5 minutes or until veggies begin to soften.
- Remove cover from skillet and add minced garlic and 2 Tbsp of Butter, keep over medium heat until butter is melted.
- Remove from heat and add cherry tomatoes.
- Place sauteed veggies & butter mixture over wilted spinach in baking dish.
- Spread cheese evenly over the top.
- Bake at 350 degrees on center rack of oven for approximately 20 minutes or until cheese has melted.
So Tell Me…
Do you get creative with things in your refrigerator? Do you have a favorite side dish? What do you do when you have fresh fruit and veggies on the brink of going bad?
Thank you so much for stopping by! I hope that your “reentry” after the holidays goes smoothly this week. As always, I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments section below.
Have a Great Week!