These Roasted Red Pepper, Spinach and Vegetarian Bacon Egg Bites are a perfect at-home alternative to Starbucks’ sous vide egg bites, and you don’t even need fancy equipment!
I have a confession to make: I’m a Starbucks junkie and I have been for a long time! I absolutely love their latte macchiatos and I treat myself to one a few times a week. As much as I go there, it has always been for coffee, not any of their food products. However, a few months ago after I finished a long hard workout, I stopped in for my typical venti latte and I was starving. I took a look at the menu to see if there was something that was not over the top in calories and discovered their Sous Vide Egg Bites. I was in heaven! The egg bites were so delicious that I began ordering them along with my macchiato several times a week, which became an expensive habit. So in an effort to curb my pricey addiction, I decided to try and make something similar at home. This is what I came up with: Roasted Red Pepper, Spinach and Vegetarian Bacon Egg Bites.
Sous Vide Cooking
The egg bites from Starbucks are made using the French “sous vide” cooking technique. Sous vide means “under vacuum” in French and the term came from the vacuum sealed bags that the food is placed in before cooking. However, in today’s world of cooking, “sous vide” has been broadened to mean anything cooked in a temperature controlled water bath. Unfortunately, I do not have an expensive sous vide oven, so initially I thought I would not be able to make my favorite indulgence at home. However, after a little research, I was able to make them by creating a water bath with boiling water in a baking dish. This method worked great and I have to say that my egg bites turned out to be every bit as good (if not better…thanks to the extra cheese), then the Starbucks version!
Roasted Red Pepper, Spinach and Vegetarian Bacon Egg Bites
Serves 2 Egg Bites
These Roasted Red Pepper, Spinach and Vegetarian Bacon Egg Bites are a perfect at-home alternative to Starbucks' sous vide egg bites, and you don't even need fancy equipment!
20 minPrep Time
35 minCook Time
55 minTotal Time
- 6 Whole Eggs
- 6 Egg Whites
- 1 Cup Cottage Cheese
- 4 Slices MorningStar Farms® Veggie Bacon Strips, crumbled into bits
- 1 Cup Shredded Gruyere Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Spinach, finely chopped
- 1/2 Cup Roasted Red Peppers, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Get out 2 13 x 9 baking dish and prepare a pot of water to boil on stove.
- Spray the inside of 12 ramekins with cooking spray and sit 6 in each 13 x 9 baking dish.
- In a food processor, combine eggs, egg whites, and cottage cheese.
- Stir in bacon, cheese, spinach, and red peppers.
- Pour 1/3 cup of egg mixture into each ramekin.
- Then, fill the baking dishes with the boiling water until it is half way up the sides of the ramekins
- Bake at 300 degrees for 35 minutes, or until centers are set.
- Let cool, then run a knife around edges of ramekins and slide egg bites out.
This recipe can easily be cut in half to make 3 servings if you have limited ramekins or baking dishes.
So Tell Me…
Have you ever tried the egg bites at Starbucks? Have you ever used the sous vide technique to cook? Are you lucky enough to own a sous vide oven? Do you have a favorite restaurant item that you have tried to reproduce at home?
Thank you so much for stopping by! As always, I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments section below. Have a great week!