I can’t believe the New Year is nearly here! The holiday season was a whirlwind of activities and I really struggled to keep up with my training plan. However, the chaos and fun family time is winding down and it’s time to get serious with fitness goals for 2018. One of my big priorities for the year is to focus on proper nutrition throughout this Ironman training cycle. I am often rushed after big workouts and do not get a chance to properly refuel with essential protein. In an effort to avoid this, I came up with Five Post-Workout Protein Solutions.
Benefits of Post-Workout Protein
First, I would like to share why protein is so important after a hard workout. It is essential to get enough protein in your diet to help avoid tissue injury. It aids in exercise recovery as it is necessary for muscle tissue building, repair, and recovery. . It also helps increase muscle mass by stimulating an increase in tissue production, while slowing down any breakdown. In turn, this aids in developing greater muscle mass and lean tissue. Another very important benefit of post-workout protein is that it helps to increase energy levels. Protein is a macronutrient, which is necessary for the body to function optimally, helping to increase one’s overall energy level.
With all of these benefits, it would seem like a “no brainer” to make sure to consume a healthy dose of protein after a workout. However, when crunched for time, I often reach for the quickest thing to eat, which is often times not healthy or full of protein (this means chips and junk food…Yikes!). I decided to be proactive in order to ditch my post-workout bad habits and came up with five healthy protein-packed snacks that I can reach for after working out.
1. Egg Bites- I do LOVE eggs and they are full of protein! However, I don’t usually have time after a long workout to make them, so I created this delicious recipe for making egg bites. These can be made in large batches and stored in the refrigerator for a week. They are perfect to grab and eat cold or heated up to eat on the go! You can get the recipe <HERE>.
2. 1SHOT Protein-I discovered these tasty little shots of protein on Amazon and they have been a serious game changer for me! They are so convenient to tuck in my gym bag or purse for after a workout. They come in Tropical and Berry flavors and they are both delicious. My favorite thing about them is that they have a whopping 24 grams of protein in a shot! They have zero grams of sugar making them low in calories with just 96 per serving. Another benefit is that they are gluten free and lactose free.
3. Smoothie Bowls & Smoothies- If you have time to throw a few things in the blender, a post-workout smoothie or smoothie bowl is so refreshing! I enjoy making them and getting creative with the ingredients to make them as nutrient dense as possible. Since I discovered 1SHOT Protein I have been incorporating a shot into my smoothies and smoothie bowls for a protein boost! Check out the video and recipe for my Tropical Protein Smoothie & Smoothie Bowl Here:
Yields 2 Servings
- 1 Cup of Dragon Fruit, diced
- 1 Cup of Kiwi, sliced
- 1 Cup of Baby Spinach
- 1 Cup of Pineapple, diced
- 1 Cup of Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1 Banana
- 1 1SHOT Protein Tropical Flavor
- 2 Cups of Ice Cubes
- 1 Tbsp Granola
- 1 Tbsp Shredded Coconut
- 1 Tbsp Mango or Pineapple, finely diced
- 3 Slices of Kiwi
- Place all ingredients in blender, and blend until smooth
- Add Toppings and Enjoy!
4. Corn, Black Bean & Mango Salad– Beans are nutritional powerhouses loaded with protein and are perfect in a salad! This Corn, Black Bean & Mango Salad is easy to prepare ahead and is a tasty way to refuel after a long training session. Check out the recipe <HERE>.
5. Cottage Cheese with Fruit & Granola- This is a quick and simple post workout treat full of protein. Simply combine a cup of cottage cheese with your favorite fruit and granola and drizzle with honey. It will satiate your appetite and tastes fresh and delicious!
So Tell Me…
What is your favorite way to refuel after a hard workout? How do you meet your daily protein needs? Have you ever tried 1SHOT Protein? What flavor do you like best, Berry or Tropical?
Thank you so much for stopping by! As always, I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments section below. Have a great week and Happy New Year!!!