Rainier Cherry Crumble
Welcome to the Sunday Fitness & Food Link-Up! This week I am sharing a simple, but delicious seasonal dessert recipe: Rainier Cherry Crumble. Rainier cherries are large sweet cherries from the Pacific Northwest. These cherries have a distinctive color and are sweeter than Bing cherries. They have a very short season from June through mid July, so if you see them in the store, grab a pound to try! They are wonderful in any dessert dish, but are also perfect to snack on. One thing to note is that they are a bit more expensive than regular cherries, but definitely worth it!
Here is what you will need:
-3 lbs Rainier Cherries, pitted***++
-2 Tbsp Cornstarch
-2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
-1 Cup of Flour
-1 Cup of Brown Sugar, packed
-1 Tbsp of Pecans, chopped
-1/4 tsp Cinnamon
-1/8 tsp Salt
-8 Tbsp Butter, cut into small pieces
***You may substitute with other cherries, such as Bing, but add 1/2 cup of sugar to cherries.
++Tip: Invest in a sturdy cherry pitter, this is the most time consuming part of the prep and will go quicker with a cherry pitter. I have an OXO one, which works great!
1. Preheat oven to 400 Degrees.
2. Place pitted cherries in a large bowl and add Cornstarch & Lemon Juice. Toss cherries to coat in mixture.
3. Pour cherry mixture into 9 inch pie plate or 9 inch cast iron skillet.
4. Combine Flour, Brown Sugar, Pecans, Cinnamon, & Salt in a medium bowl.
5. Cut butter pieces into flour mixture with a Pastry Blender or 2 butter knives. Do this until it looks like coarse meal.
6. Sprinkle Flour mixture over cherries.
7. Place in oven and bake for approximately 35 minutes, or until top begins to brown and cherry mixture thickens.
8. Let stand for approximately 15 minutes before serving.
9. Serve warm by itself of a la mode!
(This recipe was adapted from the Rainier Cherry Crumble recipe in Cooking Light Magazine).
We hope you enjoy the Sunday Fitness and Food Link-up! Please link-up with any food or fitness posts you would like to share (old or new) and pass along the link to other bloggers. We just ask that you limit the links to 3. Also, Please link back to the hosts, myself and my co-host Ilka and check out the other posts in the link & comment on each of the hosts & others that catch your eye! Also, feel free to add the badge below to your post by copying and pasting the code in the box under our badge. Have a great week and thank you for joining us!