Five Fabulous Fall Races
Happy Friday and welcome to the Friday Five! Fall is here and I am loving the cooler temperatures here in Maine. This is my favorite time of year for biking and running. I do not have any races planned now, but I wanted to share Five Fabulous Fall Races that I have participated in before or I hope to tackle in the years to come.
1. The Lobsterman Triathlon- This is an Olympic Distance Triathlon in South Freeport, Maine that typically takes place the second weekend in September. It was recently ranked as one of the 20 Best Triathlons in America by Men's Health and one of The 13 Most Incredible Triathlons in the US by The Daily Burn. The ocean water can be a bit chilly, so wetsuits are required for the swim. However, the water is typically calm and the swim starts in the water at a boat launch, which can take away some of the anxiety of a run in off the beach. The bike and run courses are challenging, but beautiful! In traditional Maine style, there is a full Lobster Bake to celebrate after the race!
2. The Dempsey Challenge- You can walk, run, or cycle at this event that is a fundraiser for The Patrick Dempsey Center for Cancer, Hope, & Healing in Lewiston, Maine. The walk/run is a 5k or 10k that takes place on Saturday, October 17. There are several options for participating in the Cycling Event, you can choose between a 10, 25, 50, 70, or 100 mile ride. These events are not timed, as it is a Challenge to encourage participants of all skill levels. There is a huge festival and Lobster Bake to follow! Patrick Dempsey makes appearances all weekend and participates in the ride. In 2014, I had the thrill of meeting him on the 50 mile ride, which made for a very exciting day!
3. The Marine Corps Marathon- I had the pleasure of participating in this race in 2012 and loved it! It begins in Arlington, VA and the scenic route takes runners by several national monuments in Arlington and D.C. The 26.2 mile course is lined with spectators cheering everyone along the way. I will also point out that the most clever and humorous race signs I have ever seen were along the route! Registration is now based on a lottery, I am hoping to participate in this great race again!
4. The Maine Half Marathon- This is a wonderful Fall race that I have participated in three times. It is a moderately hilly out and back course that begins along the beautiful inner bay of Portland: The Back Cove. It is spectator friendly and takes runners along the Cove and extends with scenic views of Casco Bay in Falmouth before the turnaround back to Portland. There is also a full Marathon and Marathon Relay on the same day.
5. Mount Desert Island Marathon- This marathon is on my bucket list! It takes place in one of my favorite Fall places, beautiful Bar Harbor, Maine. It is a challenging course that takes runners by ocean vistas, lakes, & forests through Acadia National Park during the peak fall foliage season. It was recently named "Most Scenic & runner-up Best Overall Marathon!" by Runner's World and "One of 11 Races to Run Before you Die!" by Men's Health Magazine.
What Fall races are you participating in? What are your favorites? Have you done any of the 5 races I have mentioned?
Have a Great Week!