Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie
In honor of St. Patrick's Day approaching, I am sharing my Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie recipe for Meatless Monday.
Here is what you will need:
3 lbs Russet Potatoes, peeled and cut in chunks
4 Celery Stocks with Leaves, coarsely chopped
1 Medium Onion, chopped
3 Parsnips, peeled & diced
2 Turnips, peeled & diced
3 Carrots, peeled & chopped
5 Garlic Cloves, finely chopped
16 oz Cremini Mushrooms (or other white mushrooms), cleaned & sliced
8 oz Baby Bella Mushrooms, cleaned & sliced
8 oz Shitake Mushrooms, cleaned & sliced
5 Tbsp Butter, divided (preferably Kerrygold's or another Irish Butter)
1/2 Cup of Milk
1 Cup of Red Wine
2 Tbsp of Tomato Paste
1 Cup of Vegetable Broth
2 tsp of Sage & Thyme
2 Tbsp Flour (May Use Gluten Free Flour to make GF)
1 Cup of Frozen Peas
3/4 Cup of Cheddar Cheese
1. Preheat Oven to 350 Degrees
2. Place Potatoes in a Large Pot and Boil for approximately 20 minutes, or until tender.
3. Mash or Rice potatoes, add 2 Tbsp of Butter & 1/2 cup of Milk. Stir until smooth and keep warm (salt & pepper to taste).
4. Heat 1 Tbsp of Butter over Medium High Heat in large cast iron skillet, add all mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently until juices are released from mushrooms and they begin to brown. Approximately 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from pan and salt & pepper.
5. Heat 1 Tbsp of Butter over Medium High Heat in same skillet and add onions, cook until softened, about 8 minutes. During last minute add garlic and stir. Add Onion & Garlic to reserved mushrooms
6. Heat 2 Tbsp of Butter over Medium High Heat in same skillet. Add Parsnips, Turnips, & Carrots, sauté until tender, approximately 8-10 minutes.
7. Add Wine and deglaze pan by scraping any browned bits.
8. Add Tomato Paste, Herbs, & Flour. Heat until slightly thickened, about 3 to 4 minutes.
9. Add Peas and cook until heated through, approsimately 1-2 minutes.
10. Return Mushrooms, Onion, & Garlic to pan and stir to combine. Remove from heat.
11. Spread Mashed Potatoes over Veggie Mixture and texturize a bit to form peaks.
12. Sprinkle top with Cheddar Cheese.
13. Place in upper 1/3 of Oven and bake until Cheese melts & potatoes lightly brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
14. Serve Hot & Enjoy!
I hope you enjoy this Vegetarian version of Shepherd's Pie. Happy St. Patrick's Day, may the luck o' the Irish be with you!
I am also joining Deborah at Confessions of a Mother Runner and Sarah this week in their "Meatless Monday" link-up, as well as these other great Link-ups:Running on Happy, The Fit Foodie Mama, Tasty Tuesdays, #Recipe of the week, Real Food Fridays, Allergy Free Wednesday, Gluten Free Friday, Healthy Vegan Fridays, & What's for Dinner Link-Up