Welcome to the Sunday Fitness & Food Link-Up! This week I am sharing five tips for triathlon training in the heat. I am a Northern Girl, born and raised in Pennsylvania and currently residing in Maine, which I love! My favorite time to run is in the Fall and Winter. I absolutely love running in the snow! With this being said, ALL of the triathlons I participate in, are in the Summer, so I have learned various ways to help cope when things heat up.
Here are my top 5 tips for Training in the Heat:
1. SLOW Down: No one likes to hear this, but when it is really hot, take it a bit slower. If you use a Heart Rate monitor, keep it within range for the distance you are running. In other words, ignore your pace and follow your heart! 🙂
2. HYDRATE: If you are doing a long run, make sure to hydrate well, not only with Water, but also an electrolyte replacement (I use Skratch Exercise Hydration Mix). One of the big dangers of training (particularly running) in the heat is Hyponatremia. Hyponatremia is a condition that occurs when the level of sodium in your blood is abnormally low. In endurance sports, it is most often caused by drinking too much water without replacing sodium. Some Symptoms of this life threatening condition are: Nausea & Vomiting, Headache, Confusion, Muscle Weakness, Spasms & Cramps. I like to alternate drinking between water and Skratch on hot days. I also use salt tabs for very long workouts where I am biking and running.
3. COOL Yourself Down: Create an Ice Slurry if you are going on a long run or bike. You can do this by using a blender and adding ice to water or your favorite sports drink. Blend it to a consistency that is slushy. Put this an insulated bottle to carry with you on the bike. For running, you can do the same and carry it. Alternate it between hands to help cool you down while taking small sips of it. I wear a Nathan Fuel Belt when I run, so I put the slurry in one of the 10 ounce bottles and take a sip of the cold mix at the end of each mile as a reward.
4. GET WET: Another great way to keep cool on a hot day is to carry some water to douse over your head as you heat up. I like to take one of the bottles from my fuel belt, fill it with water and place it in the freezer for an hour or two before I head out the door. It will be slightly frozen, but melt slowly while I am running. I take this water to squirt on my head or splash on my face as I run. Of course, just make sure it is the water that you pour over your head and not your sports drink! I label my bottles with “W” for water & “S” for Skratch, as I have made this mistake more than once!
5. ARM COOLERS: Consider wearing Arm Coolers. Arm coolers help to reflect the sun and also aid with evaporative cooling by converting your sweat into a “refrigerant” to help cool the body. An example of these would be the Smashfest Queen Arm Coolers shown above.
These are Five of my favorite ways to Beat the Heat! What is one of your favorite things to keep yourself cool? Is there anything from my list that you might try?
We hope you enjoy the Sunday Fitness and Food Link-up! Please link-up with any food or fitness posts you would like to share and pass along the link to other bloggers. We just ask that you link back to the hosts, myself and my co-host Ilka and check out the other posts in the link! Also, feel free to add the badge below to your post by copying and pasting the code in the box under our badge. Have a great week and thank you for joining us!
|Grab the Badge Below!|